His name is Isaiah Mustafa and can you believe that he was actually tending bar -- making gin & tonics for tips -- before hitting it big with this commercial:
Ha! I laugh every time I see that video; and even though my man doesn't find it funny, there are plenty of others who do. The commercial has garnered more than 15 million views on YouTube (as of July 23, 2010).
But just who is the so-called "Man Your Man Could Smell Like?"
Mustafa is a retired NFL wide receiver who had stints with the Seattle Seahawks and the Tennessee Titans in the early 2000s before getting into acting.
He must have not managed his money right because People magazine reports that Mustafa was working as a bartender before hitting it big when his Old Spice commercial debuted during the Super Bowl.
Since then, he's undoubtedly the most popular guy in the deodorant aisle, making the inexpensive line of men's antiperspirant cool again.
P.S. -- Be sure to log on next week when I highlight Anna Kournikova and her visit with the Washington Kastles. Below: The Kastles Mascot (Photo credit: Tom Manning/www.tommanning.photoshelter.
Peach-and-Toasted Pecan Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste*
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped peaches
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla bean paste. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, cook peaches and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Coarsely mash, and let cool 30 minutes. Stir peach mixture into cooled cream mixture.
4. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
5. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; add pecans, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 9 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. kosher salt. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
6. Pour chilled cream mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and time may vary.) Before transferring ice cream to an airtight container for further freezing, stir in pecan mixture.
*Vanilla extract may be substituted
CELEBRITY DOPPELGANGER: DC ON HEElS FAN ALEX DOMINSKA
Let's watch Alex morph into her number one look alike Adriana Karembeu a Slovak actress and fashion model. Karembeu modeled for Victoria's Secret here in the States.
HEEL OF THE WEEK:
Kayla, a senior at Marymount University in Arlington, Va., has been suffering from alopecia areata since the age of 10. The hair-loss condition affects an estimated 4.7 million Americans nationwide.
After competing five times for the crown in her home state of Delaware -- two of those times without a wig - she finally won the competition on June 12, 2010 - proving that bald is the new beautiful... well, at least on the pageant circuit.
"I won with the wig. However, it was great competing the two other times without the wig because it was really representing who I am," Martell told the CBS Early Show.
Halfway through the interview, she took off her blond wig and proudly stated: "I think I can be a better Miss Delaware by taking the wig off," she said.
"I am healthy. I am fine. All we [alopecia sufferers] do is lose our hair."
Not surprisingly, Martell's platform is raising funds and awareness for the National Alopecia Areata Foundation.
She said 5-year-old Liliana Hakim, whom she met through her work with the foundation, was her inspiration for competing for the fifth and final time.
Martell will go on to compete before Donald Trump and the entire nation for the title of Miss America at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas on Januray 15, 2011.
No word yet on whether or not she will wear her wig or go au naturale -- but I wish her luck either way!
Hot Italian Lauren DeSantis of Capital Cooking was on-hand tasting the gelato
BEHIND THE SCENES: A CAPITOL FOURTH CONCERT WITH JIMMY SMITS AND LANG LANG